Tours & Trips
St. Vincent's Secondary School has a long tradition of bringing students on Educational Tours to Europe. Destinations over the years have included:
· Paris. Beauty and Culture along with the compulsory visit to Disneyland.
· Prague including a poignant visit to Terezin Concentration Camp.
· Barcelona and Figueres home of surrealist artist Salvador Dali.
· Amsterdam and Brussels. A tour of two cities.
· Rome, Pompeii, Vesuvius and Capri. That one packed in a lot of Italy!!
· Venice, Lake Garda, Verona, Pisa and Florence in 5 days.
· D Day Beaches in Normandy. Sad but significant.
· London , Stratford Upon Avon and Warwick Castle.
· Malaga, Gibraltar, Granada, Seville and Ronda. Andalucia uncovered.
The annual tour is offered to second, transition year and fifth year students and is always in great damand.. The tours always combine both fun and educational elements. Visits to museums, cathedrals, sites of historic events and galleries are included. Equally important are leisure activities such as theme parks, beach time as well as bowling, magic shows and of course shopping!
Transition Year Trips
The Transition Year Trip to Kenmare is legendary in our school. This activity centre in the heart of rural Kerry is the destination of the 3 day trip which is almost a rite of passage for our students and for many it is their best memory of school upon leaving in sixth year!
For many this is the first time that studenst have spent 3 full days away from their families so the education is not alone focussed on activity but on personal development and team building.
Students are accommodated in the purpose built centre where they share rooms of 4 or 6 and they assist with house keeping chores such as making their bed, setting tables, clear up as well as taking part in several challenging activities including:
· Abseiling cliff faces of 20 to 30 meters
· Kayaking the magnificent Carragh Lake
· Orienteering the wild winding paths
· Hillwalking the spectacular mountain trails
Students return having overcome fears of heights, made new friends, learned to share space, queue for meals and most difficult of all survive without mobile phones (banned!) or television for 3 whole days!! Education outside the classroom can be the most important learning of all!!